Elant marks Older Americans Month in May with a variety of activities and events
Mark LaBruna, activities director for Elant at Goshen, has made big plans for Mother’s Day. On Sunday, May 13, he has arranged for Hudson Valley cabaret performer Stephanie Romm to perform for residents and their family members. The event is intended to not only entertain the mothers in attendance, but also to celebrate Older Americans Month and to kick-start National Nursing Home Week, which runs through May 19.
Since 1963, communities across the country have come together to celebrate Older Americans Month – a proud tradition that shows our nation’s commitment to recognizing the contributions and achievements of older Americans. National Nursing Home Week (NNHW) spotlights nursing home residents and staff and encourages everyone to celebrate those that make a positive difference in their lives every day. All across Elant’s communities, activities directors have planned special events to mark these celebrations with the residents and their families.
Elant at Goshen will feature activities centered on entertainment, LaBruna said. Carol Beaugard and Blue Express will perform a mix of driving bluegrass, pleasing folk-grass and Americana music on May 15. The event has been funded by Elant’s Jeffrey A. Weiss Memorial Arts Series, a new program providing free art classes, exhibits and performances to both Elant residents and the public. Later in the week, on May 17, residents will unearth a time capsule buried in 1987 at the Pavilion Courtyard. The event promises to be a fun-filled afternoon and will include a disc jockey playing music from the 1980s.
While these are just a few of many events planned to celebrate Older Americans Month and NNHW, Elant provides a variety of activities for its residents year-round. “We are providing some extra special events in May to show our appreciation, because we know the residents really enjoy them,” LaBruna said. “Especially when the events involve entertainment and/or music, they have an exceptionally great time. At Elant, every day is resident-focused. We provide activities and things to do seven days a week and on holidays throughout the year.”
According to LaBruna, many of Elant’s most successful events have been musically themed.
“Music gives residents their freedom of expression,” LaBruna said. “Music touches everyone. Some will clap, some will tap their feet and some will dance if the music moves them to. It’s a very social feeling, and we love to watch our residents get so much joy out of our musically-themed events.”
Todd Whitney, Elant’s CEO, said that Older Americans Month and NNHW are a great complement to the organization’s overall mission and goals.
“We believe firmly in helping older adults remain active, engaged, healthy and fulfilled, so developing our own unique events and activities for Older Americans Month and National Nursing Home Week is a natural fit,” said Whitney. “Across our organization, we strive to show our seniors appreciation, care and compassion – each and every day.”
The Elant at Fishkill and Elant at Wappingers Falls facilities will focus on the national theme “Celebrating the Journey” for this year’s NNHW. Elant at Newburgh and Elant at Fishkill will write up the life stories of some of their oldest residents, honoring the contributions they have made, and will frame and hang the stories in each resident’s room.
“At its heart, these themes are about honoring the lives, accomplishments and milestones of our residents,” said Whitney. “Every one of our residents has a unique story to tell, and this year’s Older Americans Month and National Nursing Home Week are dedicated to commemorating each of them.”
Elant Events Celebrating Older Americans Month and National Nursing Home Week
All events are open to the public.
Elant at Goshen Nursing Care Center: 46 Harriman Drive Goshen, NY
· Tuesday, May 15 at 2 p.m. Bluegrass Music performed by Carol Beaugard. A program funded through the Jeffrey A Weiss Memorial Art Series.
· Wednesday, May 30 at 2 p.m. Senior Health & Fitness – Zumba.
For more information contact Mark LaBruna 845-360-1244
Elant at Goshen Adult Home: 46 Harriman Drive Goshen, NY
· Friday, May 11 at 2:45 pm: Elant at Goshen Bells Concert
· Tuesday, May 22 at 2:30 pm: Jazz Trio Concert
For more information contact Mark LaBruna 845-360-1244
Glen Arden: 214 Harriman Drive Goshen, NY
· Wednesday, May 30 at 10 a.m.: Glen Arden participates in National Senior Health & Fitness Day. Join us for a morning filled with fun indoor exercise and activity programs. An outdoor walk-a-thon will follow on Glen Arden’s beautiful landscaped grounds. Healthy refreshments will be served.
For more information contact Dee Steeger 845-360-1440
Elant at Newburgh: 172 Meadow Hill Road Newburgh, NY
· Friday, May 18 at 9 a.m.: Spring Open House. Meet the staff, tour the facility and join in the unveiling of the community’s new name.
Elant Choice: 31 Cerone Place Newburgh, NY
· Wednesday, May 9 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.: Craft Sale. Stop by and browse a selection of handmade crafts all available for sale, including a raffle for a Mother’s Day Gift Basket.
For more information call 845-569-0500
Elant at Fishkill: 22 Robert Kasin Way Beacon, NY
· Tuesday, May 15 at 2:30 p.m.: Journey Around the World. An international celebration including displays, costumes and food selections.
· Sunday, May 20 from 2 to 4 p.m. Antique Appraisal Event featuring renowned personal property appraiser, John Markham.
For more information contact Pat Roza 845-831-8704 ext. 5756
Elant at Wappingers Falls: 37 Meiser Avenue Wappingers Falls, NY
· Wednesday, May 16 at 2:15 pm: Journey Around the World. Includes a special presentation by a Nigerian exchange student.
· Thursday, May 17 at 2 p.m.: A Musical Journey through the Decades.
· Friday, May 18 at 10:00 am: Musical and dance performance by the New Covenant Learning Center.
For more information contact Jean Modica 845-297-3793